Saturday 13 April 2013


For Too Long

Now you take me, for too long have I carried the burdens of my past failings;
For too many years have I yearned for the light of hope to shine through
But I could not see it for the storm clouds that were forever present about me.
Lightning flashed thunder peeled and the wind roared but yet I pressed forward, I did.
As the burden upon my shoulder pressed down on me I knew that soon,
I would need to halt my journey to rest even  for just a few moments. 
"Behold!""At long last I see a resting place just yonder," I say breathlessly to myself,
a large black rocky promontory silhouetted against the dark grey sky.
I thought this will serve as shelter from the howling wind If nothing more.
A place to rest and deliberate for a time before the light of morn.
Wearily I sit with my back pressed to the rocky promontory.
I let the heavy burden drop from my shoulder with a thud such was it's weight
With a groan from weariness I unbind the sack to examine the contents within.
Thus I proceed sorting out all of the sordid deeds of my life's journey.
One by one I examine each item closely big and small and discard what no longer serves me
or is deserving or worthy of my consideration and need to carry.
Shaking the empty sack to be certain not is left, I let it lay replete beside me.
Feeling appeased and rested I now know now where I am to be.
The lightning ceases to flash as the wind dies and the rain abates
The clouds disburse and a silvery moon breaks through, lighting the land about me
Revitalized I now know where I must go, for to long had I lost the way
I now walk nimbly feeling light as a feather, I climb a mound before me and look all around
And there I see what I seeked, nostrils flaring exhaling,
a vapory mist it blew, tail twitching it lay on the ground before me in acknowledgement
 saunter over and climb upon the back of my magnificent steed, for to long had we parted
My beloved dragon, the splendid creature she is, turns see her master had really returned.
She spreads her wings wide, and as she flaps them, large and leathery,
A cloud of dust arises to either side as I and my magnificent mount,
climb towards the heavens  and vanish among the silvery clouds lit by the full moon above.
Finally I am free of my earthly burdens, in the realm of my mind,
I can be anywhere I want and be anyone I want.
Yes, even a dragon-back rider.
Cynthia ©

No comments :

Post a Comment